Recently I was asked the popular question, “Where do you see yourself in 5 years?”
I took a few moments to think about and said, “I’m not sure. Hopefully I will be in a career that I enjoy and married.”
“How about in 20 years?”
I pondered for a few moments and said, “I have NOOO idea.”
Twenty years feels like a century away when we make future plans. Surprisingly enough, it was only 25 years ago that the internet was created. On March 12th, 1989 Sir Tim Berners-Lee created a paper discussing a storing information program called Enquire. This was the first prototype for the first world-wide web server. He went on to create a hypertext browser/editor in order to allow people to share their information in a web of hypertext documents. Thus, the internet was formed!
Who knew the internet was created only a few years before any of us were born? In order to commemorate the World Wide Web’s 25th anniversary, Pew Research decided to take a look and see how digital technology will change over the next decade. 1500 Internet analysts were surveyed to see how the future of the internet will be played out in the next quarter century. They discovered that entertainment and information will become even more accessible due to the creation of promising trends in the upcoming future. Yet, this will also create a continued loss of privacy, increasing cyberbullying and crime. The findings concluded that:
- “There will be a global, immersive, invisible ambient networked computing environment” (1).
- “A continued proliferation of smart sensors, cameras, software, databases and massive data centers in a world-spanning information fabric known as the Internet of Things ” (1).
- Reality will be expanded due to new wearable and portable technologies.
- Business models (primarily in finance, education, publishing and entertainment) created in the 20th century will be altered due to the constant change in the Internet.
- “Tagging, data basing and intelligent analytical mapping of the physical and social realms” (1) will be created by that time.
Many Internet analysts believe that the internet will end up being the background in all we do. Devices will have their own way of communicating and their own social networks, which will change the way information is controlled and accessible. Social life will be more integrated, exposure of human gaps in terms of beliefs and behaviors will be shed more into life and more individuals all over the globe will have the ability to become highly educated.
What do you think agree with these results? Or do you think the Internet will be at a standstill in the next 25 years?
Digital life in 2025: Internet will become ‘like electricity’. (2014, March 11). Retrieved September 24, 2014, from