We are all very familiar with the power of knowledge; those who enlighten people, enlighten other people and so on. Something very similar to this is blogging. Blogging has become so popular around the world to the point that people don’t even realize they are doing it. When you create a Facebook post or share a comment, you are creating a blog. With “blog” stemming from the term “Web Log” it is the process of sharing your thoughts and creating dialogue surrounding that particular topic. Now people are making millions from their thoughts, processes, and knowledge. Yes, they are making millions. There are fashion, tech, cooking, wedding, sports, drama, primetime television, etc blogs taking over our web space. In fact, we create blogs every week. Although we may not make money from them, if we really wanted to, we could.
How do these people make money from their blogs, you ask? Well there are a few ways to go about this new entrepreneurial skill.
- Google Adsense-Google Adsense is an option for you to allow Google to place ads on your blogs and you make money when people click these ads.
- Sell your own Ad Space- Depending on the audience you are catering, someone who sells something or offers a service similar to what you write about may want to buy an ad on your site. You as the owner can pick the amount and how much ad space you will allow them.
- Youtube/Style Haul Partnerships- there are many “beauty gurus” who use this option in the form of vlogging. Similar to ad sense they will place ads on your videos and you make money when people click.
- Appearances- once you become the go to person for your topic, people will ask you to make appearances to different workshops. You also can set your price here. (Clint & Roos 2012)
This may sound easier than it is actually done. There are millions of blogs in the world but only few are chosen when it comes to making the big bucks. For instance, Michelle Phan is a beauty vlogger and is reportedly worth $3 million dollars since starting her YouTube channel regarding beauty (Celebrity Net worth 2014). However, driving traffic to your blog/vlog is not easy. Here are some listed steps to driving traffic to your site:
- Your site should be content heavy. Get in the habit of posting at minimum five times a week; if not everyday.
- Keep your audience in mine. If you have a tech blog and one day you start to talk about baking, you may lose some of your audience. Stay on target.
- The writing should be great, but the esthetics should be even better. You want to make sure you site is easy to look at and easy to navigate.
- Keep popular posts on a sidebar so they are easy accessible.
- Stay humble. Once you begin to be really popular as a result from your blog and you find yourself having millions of page views, remain true to the craft. (Clint & Roos 2012)
Blogging is the newfound glory of this past decade. I know since we are all in a digital media Master’s program, most of us have at least one active blog. Take your blog to the next level with these tips and your digital storytelling. In the end we will be calling you “Money Making Niche.”
Michelle Phan Net Worth. (n.d.). RSS. Retrieved July 15, 2014, from http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-businessmen/richest-designers/michelle-phan-net-worth/
Roos, D., & Pumphrey, C. (2012, January 1). HowStuffWorks “How to Make Money Blogging”. HowStuffWorks. Retrieved July 14, 2014, from http://money.howstuffworks.com/personal-finance/budgeting/how-to-make-money-blogging2.htm